Interested in Eco-Friendly Travel? Here are some of the top green tourist destinations in the USA, courtesy of “Travel – Leisure Magazine”. These landmarks were chosen because they implement a variety of eco-friendly strategies, such as photovoltaic panels, green roofs and wind turbines.
1. San Francisco’s California Academy of Sciences, which has a living roof with plantings that attract birds and butterflies.
2. Nationals Park, Washington, which has a green roof and a site that’s friendly to pedestrians, bikers and subway riders.
3. The Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture, and Blue Hill at Stone Barns Restaurant, Pocantico Hills, N.Y., a historic farm and gourmet restaurant that aims to teach people about food.
4. The 5.4.7 Arts Center, Greensburg, Kan., a new energy-efficient attraction in a town that was devastated by a tornado.
5. New York City’s High Line, a park being created on an abandoned elevated rail line in Manhattan.
6. World Birding Center, Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park, Mission, Texas, a green building amid the park’s nine protected habitats on the Mexican border.
7. The Santa Monica Civic Center Parking Structure, which the magazine says is the first garage certified as environmentally efficient by the U.S: Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environment Design program.
8. Sears Tower, Chicago, which the magazine says is exploring how it can become more energy efficient.
9. Cavallo Point, The Lodge at the Golden Gate, a luxury lodge complex on a former military site at Fort Baker, Calif., along the coast.
10. The Cor Tower in Miami’s Design District, described by the magazine as “glamorous” and “chic” yet environmentally conscious.